March 16, 2006

Q & A with MKinMotion

Here are a few questions I've received over the last couple of weeks.

Q: What are you listening to that I might not be?

A: At this second, I'm listening to Shawn Mullins' 9th Ward Pickin' Parlor. I've been listening to a lot of The Elected, KT Tunstall, and a lot of random things. You can always view what I'm listening to up to the second by clicking here.

Q: Who do you have in the final four?

A: I have Duke, UCLA, UConn and Boston College. But that just means that only one of them will make it.

Q: What can I do to get started blogging? How do I get people to read my blog?

A: Blogging is easy. It requires no real technical skills, and where it does you can easily steal from others. I'd suggest going to Blogger and just start. The second part of your question is a little more complicated. First I would reply with "Content, Content, Content." Your content must be interesting, original and personal. Consistency is a big one too. This is starting to sound like a seminar "The 3 C's of Blogging Success." If you are inconsistent with posts, people will forget and lose interest very easily. Now I have to think of a third C, because there are always 3. Connections. There it is. You can't be ashamed of your blog, if you truly want to drive traffic to your blog, you're gonna have to let people know about it. Those people, if they enjoy it, will tell others about it. Make connections with other bloggers. If they enjoy your stuff, they'll generally add a link on their blog to get to your blog.

Q: What are some of your favorite blogs?

A: I use Bloglines to subscibe to a lot of blogs. I've also installed a notifier so that when someone updates their blog, it pops up and tells me. But it doesn't take much for me to subscribe to a blog. I don't however subscribe to some of the big popular blogs. I have a lot of friends that blog, so I subscribe to their blogs. What I didn't mention above when I mentioned connections, is the "Six Degrees of Blogging." If you follow a link on my blog to another blog, then a link from there, then on and on and on, you will discover something new, guaranteed. So in answer to your question, I regularly visit:

The Mad Fishicist
Schmetzger
iRich
WWdN (Wil Wheaton)
Super Special Questions Blog (Mike Doughty)
American Copywriter
Savage Chickens

As always, questions can be sent to MKinMotion(at)gmail(dot)com.

No comments: