March 5, 2006

Episode Six: The Academy Award Episode

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the Oscar's. I have to admit I didn't see a lot of the movies that were up for awards. I did see Crash and enjoyed it in a "sick-feeling-at-the-end" sort of way. So in honor of the biggest night for Hollywood, I will take a shot at correlating the top 6 awards to great album covers. Here we go...not my best outing, but everybody has to have their Hulk.

Best Picture, Crash

I think of Kathleen York as an actress. She played Congresswoman "Andy" Wyatt as well as Toby Zeigler's baby's mommy on the West Wing. She also was the masseuse on Curb Your Enthusiasm. She also had a role on the O.C. for a few episodes. Apparently she's also a songwriter and singer, publishing under the name of Bird York. She did a great job singing the song with flames of fire close behind her.

Best Director, Ang Lee

Willie Nelson? Ang Lee? This is a bit of a stretch, but Willie has a song on the soundtrack for Brokeback Mountain and it gave me an excuse to throw in a great old album cover by Willie. Can you believe that Ang Lee is directing Hulk 2? I though he'd have learned his lesson with the first Hulk movie.

Best Actor, Philip Seymour Hoffman

Hoffman plays Lester Bangs in Almost Famous. If you doubt his acting ability, just watch the deleted scenes for Punch Drunk Love titled Mattress Man. It's one scene, but it's worth the rental.

Best Actress, Reese Witherspoon

I love Reese Witherspoon. I always have. It's great to see her win this. Perhaps we'll get less Legally Blonde and Sweet Home Alabama and more Election or Walk the Line. In light of Jon Stewart's "Raise your hand if you weren't in Crash," quote, "Raise your hand if you didn't fall in love with Reese in Man in the Moon." In honor of her performance, Folsom Prison...

Best Supporting Actor, George Clooney

Great ol' timey music. Contrary to popular belief, George Clooney didn't sing on the soundtrack. But Doug Ross, Danny Ocean, Ulysses Everett Magill, Major Gates, Seth Gecko, Booker and even Bruce Wayne ain't too shabby.

Best Supporting Actress, Rachel Weisz

I think Rachel Weisz is pretty amazing. She's had some great roles and done really well with them. I didn't see Constant Gardener, but I'm sure I will. My applause was for her catalog of great performances. And speaking of great performances, Badly Drawn Boy put together a darn good set of songs for the About a Boy soundtrack (hint: Rachel Weisz was in About a Boy).

No comments: