April 17, 2007

New Music Tuesday: Covered Bridges of Portland

One album to recommend this week, as you can tell from the sparseness of the blog, I haven't had a lot of time to put into it. That will change soon...life will slow back down after a period of adjustment. This week an interesting release came out. Bridging the Distance is a cover album from artists from Portland, Oregon...my birthplace and where I consider my hometown. So you get the likes of The Decemberists, Britt Daniel of Spoon and Chris Walla of Death Cab and many others. The songs are all covers, some from the 60s, 70s and 80s. I listened to it all morning and I recommend it for a number of reasons. Not the least of which is the Portland ties, but also there are some great covers and proceeds go to a great cause. The album is a benefit album for p:ear. I haven't heard of p:ear before last night, but all that I've read is they're really doing a great thing for transitional youth. iTunes has the album for $9.99 but there are 22 tracks, so it's quite a steal. If you're more the downloader of individual songs, I recommend the songs by the three artists named above as well as The Minus 5's version of "That Smell", Viva Voce's version of "Eye in the Sky", and The Kingdom's version of "Sister Christian." There's a Springsteen cover by The Snuggle Ups that's pretty nice too. So why try to decide which songs, buy the whole album and support p:ear.

By Bridging the Distance

No comments: