August 2, 2006

...Is Illuminated

I just finished watching this movie. Everything is Illuminated. It is pretty amazing. It is beautifully shot, beautifully acted, and overall a beautiful movie. I'll definately have to give it some more thought, but I'd say it's one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. If you haven't seen it or if you haven't heard of it, I'm telling you, you need to see it. There are shades of La Vita e Bella (Life is Beautiful). Interesting themes and some fun parts too. I watched the deleted scenes, and although I would recommend you watch them, I much prefer the film without them. I'm sure I will have more to say about this film as I digest it a little more. But in the meantime, here is the trailer and a bonus MP3 of the DeVotchka song in the trailer (though it doesn't actually appear in the film, it's still a great song for it). Here's the song (file). Liev Schreiber directed it and wrote the screenplay based on the book. I'm looking forward to anything that Schreiber puts out in the future. If you're wonder who he is, you might know him from Kate and Leopold or the Scream movies or you might know him from The Sum of All Fears. Typically an actor, this is his directorial debut, and I'm hoping it's not his last.



No comments: