March 9, 2007

The Long Con: The Prestige vs. The Illusionist

Two movies about magicians coming out at the same time takes me back to the summer of 1998 when Armageddon and Deep Impact both showed us how to avoid the Earth being destroyed by comets, meteors, and asteroids. In the same way that Armageddon and Deep Impact separated themselves despite similar plots and elements, both The Prestige and The Illusionist are both similar and unique. I'll preface this further by saying that I enjoyed both movies, though I would have done something different with each of them. Whereas The Prestige deals with the rivalry between two magicians and the lengths they are willing to go to in an effort to best the other, the rivalry in The Illusionist is between a magician from humble beginnings and the crown prince of Austria. Both movies are period pieces, both movies have a generation's most promising actors (Edward Norton and Christian Bale), both movies have one of the hottest young actresses in Hollywood (Scarlett Johansson and Jessica Beil), and both movies con their audiences in the same way that the characters con each other. I'd heard enough about both movies to know that more was happening than they were willing to give away, but I think both movies could have done better at protecting the reveal yet still keeping true to the con. To protect anyone who hasn't seen them, I won't go into too much detail other than to highlight a couple of performances. Michael Caine, who worked with Christian Bale and director Christopher Nolan on Batman Begins was great in The Prestige. I thought Paul Giamatti and Rufus Sewell did well supporting Norton's performance. I think I liked the Prestige better, but I don't feel as though to like one better is to not like the other.

2 comments:

Jesse and Sarah said...

Don't read if you haven't seen the Prestige!!!!
I checked out your suggestion on Stranger than fiction, loved it. I've seen both these magician movies. Loved Illusionist, didn't like the Prestige. True, they are both similar in a lot of ways, but the whoel "clone" thing in the Prestige?! Come on, that was a bit of a stretch for me.

Matt said...

Yes, don't read this either if you haven't seen the Prestige.
Tesla was up to some strange stuff but Edison shut him down, so who knows with the cloning thing. I'd have liked it better if the cloning was a con and the pile of hats and the second cat were planted to get Wolverine to throw all his money at Tesla (who for the long con idea wouldn't need to be the real Tesla). I'd like to have had each "magic trick" have just been part of the con to bring each other down.