October 23, 2006

I Finally Did It

Due to the length, importance and intensity of Game 7 of the NLCS, I missed this week's episode of The Office (Sorry, Jenna).  I went to the always trusty iTunes Store (formerly known as the iTunes Music Store) on friday and there was the episode for $1.99.  That's an easy purchase.  But when I went to the page to purchase, I was informed that I needed iTunes 7 to purchase TV content.  As I mentioned when iTunes 7 came out, I was less than impressed with it and was holding out when it came to my desktop PC.  Well, needing my weekly Michael Scott/Dwight Schrute fix was enough to get me to finally install the new software.  Well, not only did it take who-knows-how-long-because-I-finally-went-to-sleep for the new version to figure out how much music I had and not only check the album artwork for every song I have, it also ran the highly anticipated update of gapless music.  The next morning when it was through with it's tasks, I tested the gapless feature with Red Hot Chili Peppers' Blood Sugar Sex Magik, and I have to say it works really well.  Then yesterday I plugged in my iPod without even thinking about the ramifications of the new software.  I think my iPod just about caught on fire because it got so hot and sounded so sad as iTunes 7 tried its best to kill it.  I'm still less than impressed with the interface of iTunes 7.  It's a resource hog, bouncing between 35 to 90ish percent of my processor, it makes it very frustrating to do anything else while listening to music.  It takes much longer to start and to close.  I imported a couple of CDs and it took forever and kept my processor pegged out at 99 percent for 10 minutes.  I have a gig of memory and a 2.4 gigahertz processor, there is no reason for an application as simple as iTunes should tap out my resources without doing anything other than music.  So, I anxiously await the next update, because I'm not going to let Jobs get me to buy a Mac over the iPod or iTunes...not when the Zune is so close.   

No comments: