January 16, 2007

New Music Tuesday: America Always Told Me That Bars Are Dark And Lonely

In the early 70's the band America took the world by surprise. Their song "Ventura Highway" is still a common tune to get mixed into my iPod. They enjoyed several hits in the 70's and being produced by Beatles producer George Martin doesn't hurt your cred. They were compared to Crosby Stills Nash and Young. They faded away as the 80's hit, but their back with a new album released today titled Here & Now. Produced partly by former Smashing Pumpkins guitarist James Iha, the double album contains America with help from some contemporary artists including Ryan Adams, Ben Kweller, members of My Morning Jacket and Nada Surf. The first "disc" is new material including a cover of My Morning Jacket's captivating "Golden." The second "disc" includes old standards from America performed live. When I first heard about this project back in the summer, I didn't know what to expect. The news I heard was about a collaboration between Jim James of My Morning Jacket, Ryan Adams and Ben Kweller and they were calling themselves America. I thought it was a project like The Thorns, but it puzzled me because of the band that already had the name America...like a certain phone. My first experience with My Morning Jacket had me making mental comparisons to America, and now the generations combine. Both "discs" are priced at $9.99 in the iTunes store which means 25 tracks for $9.99. A bargain and a steal. Definately give it a listen. You might hear such songs as "A Horse With No Name," "Muskrat Love," "I Need You" and the aforementioned "Ventura Highway" on your local classic rock or hipster soft rock station.

Buy America - Here & Now

No comments: