September 6, 2006

Cranking Through the Netflix Queue

I've been progressing through my NetFlix queue with a very ecclectic variety. Netflix takes away any reservations of whether to see a movie or not for me. If someone mentions a movie, or someone on the radio/podcast/tv mentions a movie that I haven't seen or haven't seen for a while, I throw it in the queue. I've gotten fairly lucky and I thought I'd make some recommendations for you.

I mentioned "Everything is Illuminated" and if you haven't heeded my advice and gone out to rent/buy/borrow this movie, you're missing out.

I can't remember where I left off and I'm too lazy to sort through posts to find it, so I'll just give a run down.

Munich was good and it really put the tension with Lebanon in a different light.

Junebug, I enjoyed it...not as much as I thought I would, but I'd recommend it.

Don't Come Knocking was pretty fantastic. Wim Wenders and Sam Sheppard team up for another beautiful movie. They also teamed up to make Paris, Texas which also was a Netflix rental.

I thought I would have a hard time enjoying The New World because of Colin Farrell, but the guy can act and that's been forgotten with some of the choices he's made in roles.

I watched LolliLove and liked it a lot. I laughed out loud a few times because some of the humor takes you by surprise.

There were a few things I didn't realize about The Family Stone before I watched it. The first was that it was a Christmas movie...Christmas in August, not too big of a deal. The second was that it had some pretty intense dramatic scenes in it. I thought from the trailer that it would be a light hearted "Meet the Parents" type movie, but it had a heart and a soul. If I were Wes Anderson, I'd get Owen and Luke Wilson together and make a movie where they play brothers (imagine that!!) and Craig T. Nelson plays their dad. The chemistry between Coach and Luke in The Family Stone was a rare thing.

The Squid and the Whale was well done. Noah Baumbach wrote and directed the movie but I was expecting a slow drama. There was a lot of heavy stuff, but there was a subtle humor to the characters that seemed like something out of Zissou.

I saw Aeon Flux and expected to hate it. I actually enjoyed it a lot. I think the concepts were a little thicker than a 2 hour movie could handle, but the story was there and come on, Charlize Theron.

1 comment:

Jesse and Sarah said...

The Family Stone, I liked it too I guess, I didn't know what to expect. Lots of uncomfortable scenes, plenty of funny Luke moments. Aeon Flux, still haven't been there. I still expect that I will hate it, but who knows, maybe someday I will come across it and be surprised as you were.