April 24, 2006

Tip, Trick and Tool #1

I've decided that I will put 1 tip, 1 trick and 1 tool into a weekly post. This week, though I've got two tips and two tool. Enjoy. Let me know what you think.

Tip(s)
Check out Meebo. It's an IM aggregator. If you have say, an AIM, a Yahoo, an ICQ, and an MSN messenger, you can sign in to all of them at the same time. It's web-based so it doesn't require installing software. Give it a shot, I think you'll like it.

I've been messing around with RSS readers lately trying to find one that I like. I'm not completely satisfied with any of them, but the one that I recommend is SharpReader. If you don't have any idea what I'm talking about, email me and let me know so I can set you on a path to a better life. If you have a better RSS reader (for PC) let me know.

Tools
Do you like Google maps? Do you like MapQuest? Well, let me propose that you check out Microsoft's Local.Live. It's in beta, so it's still got some kinks, but lets face it, so does Google and have you ever actually followed the directions that MapQuest gives you? What's sold me on Local.Live so far is that I can double click on a city and zoom there it is. Give it a shot.

Any Gmailers out there? Not a gmailer? Let me introduce you to Google Calendar. Think a web-based Outlook...but (and this is a big but) there's more. You can share appointments with other google calendar users, you can set up your reminders to email or text you when it's time for them. Similarly to Outlook, you can propose or invite people to events or meetings. You can choose to share or keep private as much of the calendar you wish. I haven't had a lot of meetings or appointments lately, but I can see how it would be quite useful for you busy people.

No comments: