May 11, 2006

Wednesday Q & A on Thursday

You can take part in Wednesday Q & A by sending your question(s) to MKinMotion(at)gmail(dot)com.

Q: How do you find out about music I've never heard of?

A: There's a revolution going on in the music world. In the old days, you might have heard a DJ on a radio station mention that a band was coming out with a new album or they would play a new song. Now in the digital age, you can keep up with your favorite bands through their websites or through their myspace pages. When I set up my myspace account, I added a bunch of musicians and bands that I like. Wily as music industry people are, sometimes a musician or their agent/manager will cruise through a similar band's myspace page and send out either messages or friend requests saying that you might like us if you like them sort of deal. Another peice of this revolution going on is the mp3 blog. When I was writing reviews of my experience at the Austin City Limits Festival on my blog, I stumbled on a couple of other people who were reviewing the festival. Because of the wonder of RSS, I subscribed to their blog and have "kept in touch" ever since. There are countless mp3 blogs out there, but here are a few of my favorites:

An Aquarium Drunkard (taken from the Wilco lyric)
I am fuel, You are friends (From Pearl Jam's Leash, huge PJ fan, here)
Gorilla vs. Bear
My Old Kentucky
Rock Insider

I also keep up with podcasts from KEXP and KCRW. I've also adopted the idea of not being afraid to listen to new music. If I don't like it, I don't like it, but sometimes I do, and when I do, I tell you about it. I also read Paste Magazine.

Q: Where is Dublin, California?

A: Right here.

Q: Why do you use MKinMotion instead of your name?

A: It's a shread of anonymity. If you Google my last name, it directs to this blog, so deep down there must be a connection. It started with the BLB website circa 2003. Bolokai and Noveau Riche already had nicknames and I didn't. When I started my first blog, I realized that my last name isn't the easiest thing to spell...ok I realized that it wasn't easy to spell the day I first tried to spell it. So it had to be something a little easier to remember. Hopefully, I've been saved in your favorites, so you never have to remember. I have no problem sharing my first name, though...it's Matt, nice to meet you. It also allows me to sometimes write in the third person without standing too Costanzish.

Q: Didn't you used to pitch? Would you walk Barry Bonds?

A: Yes I used to pitch 100 years ago. If I were a Major League pitcher, I would talk with the pitching coach and the manager before the game and see what they thought. If I didn't get the sign to intentionally walk Barry, I would pitch to him, but I might try to throw 2 seamers to the outside corner. In fact, now that I mention it, all my fast balls were 2 seam fastballs...they tail to the right as they approach the plate. I might think twice about pitching to Albert Pujols though...or McGwire in his day. Right handers are harder to fool with junk. Enough baseball...if you want more baseball, head over to One, Two, Three Strikes, my sports blog. It's not just baseball, and if you lived through my brutal College Football gambling posts last fall, you know where you can learn how to lose money come fall.

Don't like the answers? Send your own questions...mkinmotion(at)gmail(dot)com.

No comments: